Monday, August 11, 2008

Some Slackers, Some Lackers


Something you’ll have to contend with if you are going to paint on the streets in a metropolitan area are the homeless and beggars. Most of the ones I have given money to were very polite. Some whom I talked to at length were very intelligent. Most of them were spiritual.

If you choose to help them, you must use wisdom so that you avoid embarrassment to them, or even worse, harm to yourself. When someone approaches me with their hand out, I try to determine if they are merely hustlers who wouldn’t lift a finger to work if you gave them a high paying job or people in a tight spot who deserve a helping hand. Many of the later are kind, gentle people who couldn’t keep up with society.

Having encountered many street people who have asked me for money, I’ve learned some techniques to that have helped to keep my painting experience positive.

Join me tomorrow and I’ll pass along some things I’ve learned. If you have some tips for dealing with people on the streets as you paint, please share it.

This 9"x12" original watercolor painting is for sale for $350 unframed. Contact me if you are interested in it.

No comments: