Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Singer in a Showercap


Every now and again in your street painting, you will meet someone who will so entertain or inform you that you will be richer from meeting them.

I was painting on Hollywood Blvd. one day when a man stopped to watch me paint. He told me how much he liked my artwork, then asked if I would give him some money. He had such distinct physical characteristics; a long, soft face with tiny teeth set behind lips painted the color of grapes. He wore a pink shower cap. He had the personality of a silent era movie star. I told him I would give him five dollars if he would let me paint his portrait. He suddenly lost his air of dignity and was shocked, even embarrassed that I would want to paint him. He made excuses for his appearance, but I imagine that his need for the money outweighed his hesitation to pose for me.

I could tell he was uncomfortable, so I began to chat with him. He told how he had been cheated out of a role on a popular television show. He also said he used to perform musicals on Broadway. He offered to sing me a song. I told him I would love to hear him. He opened his mouth and began to sing a jazzy show tune. His voice was strong enough that he was probably heard from several blocks away, yet was crystal clear. I was speechless, but painted quickly.

When he ended the song, he said abruptly that he had to leave. I thanked him and gave him the five dollars. He looked my painting and said with the bravado of a celebrity that the painting didn’t capture him. I humbly think that I captured the real him in the 10 or 15 minutes we had together, and not the him he imagined himself to be.

On another occasion, I had the opportunity to paint the portrait of an Elvis impersonator in his upholstery shop. More on that another time.

No comments: