Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Central Sax


Some of the most interesting you will ever meet are street people. Those would include hustlers, homeless and the down and out. Some people I term homeless are technically not homeless. They sometimes live in a homeless shelter, halfway houses or with friends. They often move around during their waking hours and return to their temporary residence in the evening. I often look for ways to help them.

Street hustlers rarely earn enough money to own their own home, so they depend on the generosity of others to put bread on their tables. If I determine someone is trying to hustle me for my money, I will not give them the time of day.

In your travels in urban plein air painting, you are also bound to encounter the insane. They can be very unpredictable and therefore must be dealt with very cautiously. Their behavior can go from gentle to threatening at the blink of an eye. Since I am not a psychologist, I do my best to dismiss them and send them on their way without giving them anything. Be kind but curt.

Then there are people who are so entertaining and engaging that you really want to pay them to stick around while paint.

Tomorrow, I’ll tell you about a man on the street who made my day when he stopped to ask me for money.

This 9"x12" original watercolor painting is for sale for $350 unframed. Contact me if you are interested in it.

No comments: