Saturday, July 19, 2008

Back Yard Blight

If you have never painted en plein air, you may be wondering, “Where do I begin?”


How about your own back yard? You may have a garden, a patio area or a child’s playground. If you live in an apartment building, I can imagine there is something right outside your door that would make an interesting painting; a shed, a bicycle rack, or a rusty fire hydrant near a bus stop.


Your scene doesn't have to be scenic to make an interesting painting. This painting is a perfect example. This is my neighbor's garage. I painted his roof as it is, complete with holes, missing shingles and exposed framing. This is the same neighbor who breeds dobermans, you know, the barking dog type. I had to finally do this painting to see it in a positive light.


What's in your back yard?

No comments: